Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Roi Diet

I've always thought that the hysteria around roi was a witch hunt.  I've read studies claiming that half the roi population is ciguatoxic.  Yet, not only do they continue to show up in markets and restaurants, people continue to buy and eat them.  Granted, someone could get sick from roi and we wouldn't necessarily hear about it.  But literally thousands are eaten, and we never read of an episode like this: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2009/Nov/09/ln/hawaii911090324.html  And even if ciguatera hits don't make mainstream news, word gets around among divers.  I know of several people who have had ciguatera.  I can think of two cases from tableboss, one from uku, several from knifejaws (don't eat them), but only one possible case of cig from roi, despite the fact that I believe many more roi are consumed than the previously mentioned fish (maybe not uku).
To my knowledge, the studies done on ciguatera in roi have all used tests that have proven faulty (i.e. the discontinued product "Cigua-Check").  In an effort to conduct an experiment of my own, I'm going to eat a roi every week in 2012.  If only 2% of roi are hot, I'm statistically likely to get hit from my 52 roi at some point during the year.  So far I've eaten one from the south shore and one from the east side.  Out of laziness I baked both with only garlic salt.  I also ate the head of one (reputedly the most toxic part).  One was slightly overcooked, but still far superior to uhu.  Stay tuned for 50 more roi recipe reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I appreciate your willingness to test your theory, but I think you should rethink this one. You might not get sick, sure.

    By eating 52 roi though, you will let a number of small doses of toxins accumulate in your system, greatly increasing your chance. If two percent of fish are strongly positive, there could be another 20 percent will be weakly positive.

    I'm not telling you anything new, but if you do get sick, you can have horrible symptoms for weeks to months or more - I know someone that still has nerve damage 15+ years after eating a hot fish.

    Also, I don't think the UH study uses Cigua-Check, they use a week long process that is much more accurate. http://www.fish4science.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had cig before, it sucked. But I am that positive that roi are not highly ciguatoxic.

    ReplyDelete